I love sewing little girl clothes – they’re quick, and don’t take much fabric. Getting them photographed and blogged is another story, though! The trick is getting things sewn together after I cut them out before Becca’s moved on to the next size. Some things grow with her from dresses into tops, but there have been a few that haven’t fit for long. Some of them have bloomers that aren’t shown here.
Here’s a collection from last spring and summer:
These are the sweet little baby dress. I’m sure I’ll make many more – they take less than 30 minutes to sew and are nice as dresses and then tops (especially when there’s no elastic in the bottom of the sleeves). I’m still looking for my basic peasant dress pattern for toddlers – I haven’t bought the next size up of this pattern.
This is from the Shwin Baby Basics pack. Becca wore it to a wedding. The curved bodice seam made it take a little longer to sew, and unfortunately that huge wood button made the top flop forward quite a bit.
This dress is one that unfortunately was too small before Becca got to wear it, which is too bad because I love that lace. I think it was because of the fact that I used french seams, and the fabric was too stiff to go over Becca’s head.
This dress and the next are from a vintage simplicity a-line patterns for reversible dresses (Simplicity 7552 – Toddler’s Reversible Dress or Top and Bloomers). I didn’t make this one to be reversible, just fully lined. It requires a bit of hand sewing, but my attempt to be more clever with construction resulted in a mobius strip. She wore it a few times when it was warm, and with tights and a long-sleeved shirt in the fall.
This version has been worn both ways – both fabrics are Lisette novelty prints from JoAnn’s. I love the ties and scallop hem. It’s the same pattern as above.
These are two of the few Ottobre patterns I’ve made from the stack of magazines I’ve collected. These are from Spring 2008, the Nirunaru tunic, and Candy pants in size 74. I chose the patterns because I wanted capris for Becca while she was a crawler, but of course I didn’t finish it until she was walking.
Simplicity 2392 – 1950’s re-issue It’s just a coincidence that I made the same colors as on the pattern envelope – I was looking for something neutral enough to wear with different outfits. It didn’t get a whole lot of wear, though because a neck tie isn’t very childproof when the baby starts yanking the bonnet off her head. If I shortened the straps and added velcro it would have been a lot better. The skirt is just a half yard of fabric gathered to her waist measurement at the length that worked at the time.