Carl’s sister is having a baby girl soon, and I took the chance to make a really girly quilt for her. The fabrics are all older Heather Bailey prints from my stash, and the layout is a kind of straight line whirligig. It’s only 36″ square, but it’ll make a good playmat and give a pop of pretty for our sweet niece.
For the quilting, I made flower petals where the bolder pink and green come together, and then loops that connect throughout the white prints across the quilt. I might have put buttons in the center of the quilted flowers if it weren’t going to a baby. Maybe I’ll have to design a quilt where that’s possible.
I’m still posting baby quilts – just one more to get caught up on after this! I’m hoping to stretch to some that are slightly bigger and more complicated next, but we’ll see. There’s something nice about getting something done quickly.
My sister’s baby was due 2 weeks after mine. My baby came 10 days late, and hers a few less than that, but they ended up being born only 1 week apart. While we were waiting for our little girl, though, I worked on finishing up this quilt for my sister’s little boy. I hadn’t been pressuring myself to work on a timeline for it, but I figured while my parents were here and I had some extra babysitting help I might as well work on it. My mom commented that the baby couldn’t come until this quilt was done. Turns out I stitched on the binding Sunday afternoon and had the baby first thing Monday morning! Watch what you say around a late baby, I guess! I had to have them take a couple pictures before they took it back to IL with them, since I was otherwise occupied after it was finished.
I had a pattern that I used as reference for this quilt, but it was written for solids instead of prints, and I misplaced it when I was figuring out sizes, so I just used it for inspiration for the layout and pieced the blocks as snowballs instead of piecing the centers. It’s not easy to see the prints in these pictures, but they include Laurie Wisbrun dogs in trucks, Heather Ross gnomes, a traffic print, green Riley Blake chevrons, and Denyse Schmidt prints from Joann’s in greens and blues. The solid is Connecting Threads in Sandstone. To quilt it, I outlined each print in the solid section. Inside the printed pieces I used a sketchy scalloped starburst design that you can kind of see on the back. There were a ton of threads to bury, but otherwise it worked fine. It did work well for short quilting sections to not be doing an all over design. It measures about 56×62 – on the bigger end of baby quilts, but not to big to move around. Hopefully it’ll be something little Edward can grow up with and have fun with for a long time!
In my effort to get caught up on baby quilts (and get it sent out with the long overdue quilt in my last post), I decided to make the quilt for this baby boy very simple. Two half yard cuts of the green animals (by Eleanor Grosch, one of my favorite illustrators / surface pattern designers – still available some places) separated by strips of blue (from Connecting Threads).
The problem is that even simple quilts have to be basted and quilted! Quilting a baby quilt doesn’t take long and isn’t a dreaded part of the process any more (yay for my vintage Bernina 830!), but I always procrastinate on the basting piece, and then the quilting falls to the end of the queue behind several other projects. This almost-whole-cloth design was fun, though, for trying out a couple new to me designs, along with my favorite meandering loops. I thought the zig-zags looked a little like grass for the animals to be hiding in.
When I was done I realized that I had left the feed dogs up this time, but it didn’t seem to make the quilting any harder. I just had to make sure to slow down how fast I was moving the quilt when the stitches started getting too long. I backed this one in a solid green (Kelly from Connecting Threads) that shows off the different quilting stitches well.