Triangle Quilt in Progress

For the first time since last August, I have a quilt basted and under the needle for quilting. I have a few other finished tops and many others in progress, but this one took priority recently and I haven’t wanted to finish any of the others until this one was done. I’m not good at blogging the process of making a quilt (because I just want to get it done in the time I have) but I thought I’d take a blog post to share the instagrams I’ve taken along the way so it doesn’t look like it just came out of nowhere when I show the finished quilt (soon! hopefully very soon!). Sorry for poor picture quality – I sew late at night and in the winter I’m not home much during the daylight, so there’s not much opportunity for natural light photography!

Fabric stack – 24 Nov 2012

See how I pulled this stack before Christmas? I knew I wouldn’t finish it in time with the other stuff I was making, but that’s when the idea originated. It was fun to pull a stack of fabric for this quilt. I’m making it for my brother, who is a graphic designer and artist, so I knew he’d appreciate the text prints. There are several Julia Rothman Cloud 9 fabrics that I’ve always wanted to use in a triangle quilt, and this use is more interesting than one just limited to that line. I left out the prints that had pink in them to keep it more manly. There are several prints from last summer’s London line from Dear Stella, because he spent a semester in college living in the UK. I used the yellow dot to add some contrast to the design and keep things from being too busy. This size quilt used 14 different fabrics, but considering there are a couple half yards it would be 16 fat quarters.

Cutting – 2 March 2012

Somehow it took me 3 months to start cutting seriously! January and February saw very little craft time, and when I did have a little time I wanted to sit down and sew right away or see immediate results (like with baby dresses). The hardest part of making this quilt was cutting all those triangles. I like to jump right into sewing, and cut as I go or start with a whole bunch of strips or squares. This one required a little more precision. I used this 60 degree ruler (LINK) and chose to make them 6″ finished just because I could get the most out of a fat quarter that way (I would have loved to go bigger to speed things up, but didn’t want to waste more fabric). Cutting all of the dog-ears was time-consuming up front, but definitely helped with precision in piecing.

Finished cutting – 10 April 2012

If you’re interested in making a thousand pyraminds quilt yourself, Ebony Love had a cut-along for this pattern that just wrapped up that had a lot of great information. I bought the Sizzix isosceles die for future projects, although I’ll have to get better at eyeballing how to line them up because it doesn’t have the dog-ears cut already.

Triangle Sets – 26 April 2012

The toughest part of stitching was, of course, the bias edges. I had a pile that I unpicked and re-sewed because they weren’t quite right, but the good thing about the busy prints is that it helps hide the triangle points that got lost. I saw a good tip somewhere to stitch with the straight-edge fabric on the top and the bias on the bottom, if there’s a choice, and somehow the feed-dogs help ease things in.

Laid out rows – 30 April 2012

I didn’t lay this all out before I started sewing block sets because I don’t have a design wall – I just laid it out once I got to the stage of sewing rows. Somehow the dimensions I sketched out didn’t work in practice and I was missing at least a row of triangles, so I cut a few extras, and then decided to just go for a border. My brother is over 6 ft tall, and I wanted to make sure it was big enough to cover him completely. I think it’s going to be just shy of a double bed sized now.

Finished top – 24 May 2012

Here’s a peek of the finished top, because I don’t have a spot that’s far enough away in the house to get a picture of the whole thing. I think my desire to start sewing other things is going to motivate me to finish this up!

Standard