I knew having a puppy would be a lot of work, but there were a few things I didn’t anticipate. It’s a good thing my job is slightly flexible and I have the freedom to work from home (and we’ve had friends come to let him out on mornings when I needed to be in the office).
- He’s pretty willful. I swear he’s looked right at me and peed on the carpet.
- Puppies have small bladders! The times when he does let me know he needs to go outside by going to the door, if I have to reach for the leash it’s already too late.
- He gets bored easily and needs new toys all the time, or anything could become the new toy. If we’re not giving him attention we can expect a nip!
- We’re pretty bonded – he follows me from room to room, and even if he’s sleeping he looks up periodically to see where I am and will drag himself to lay down somewhere else. This makes it really difficult to get things done! Computer work needs to happen during naps so I feel better about going on long walks, but then I’m all tired out.
- He does a cute thing where he picks up his leash with his mouth to “direct” me during walks.
- He’s slept through the night the past couple nights so no complaints there!
- Cuddle time is the best 🙂 Especially when we bring him to bed in the morning so we can get a couple extra minutes.
- Paper and plastic are his favorite things, followed closely by fabric. The biggest problem I see with sewing right now, though, is having the iron set up with a wire he’ll want to chew or could trip over. The most I’d been able to do creatively is some sketching and some lettering.
- It’s all worth it!